Monday, October 30, 2006

Here is another random picture. I do have a story to relate. A look into Kurdish culture. I was up in the Iraqi Army command post today to tell them we were there if they needed any help with anything. One of the soldiers approached me and we shook hands. I began to pull back, but he did not let go. Instead he began to speak to my interpreter (TERP). My terp said "this man thinks you have a pretty face." I was like "what did you just say?" "Oh, sorry wrong translation, he said you remind him of his best friend back home and he likes you for this." Terps sometimes give some crazy translations. It is common for men to kiss each other on the cheek when they have not seen each other for a long time here. It is also common to see men holding hands who are good friends. Eventually, I was able to withdraw my hand and even knowing this cultural attribute, it was difficult to overcome my American personal space. These are stark differences between cultures and it can become very uncomfortable at times. However, understanding is key to working with these guys.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We agree--you do have a pretty face!

8:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was going to say the same thing! I'll try not to be *too* jealous that someone else gets to hold your hand...I know Iraqi men aren't really your type :)

9:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

congratulations on your upcoming promotion, steve!!....... silver to replace the gold!!.... well done!!.. is it in camoflague (sp??) or shiny??....
big hugs & lots of prayers,
k's auntie c

2:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and observations. Cultural differences do challenge our comfort zones. We had a Lebonese teen live with us last year. It was enlightening and lifelong customs and beliefs don't change easily, if ever!

Michele C.

7:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

THANK YOU FOR SHARING SO MUCH THAT IS CULTURAL. I LOOK FORWARD TO READING YOUR MESSAGES. YOUR SPIRIT IS TRULY AMAZING. WE ARE SO PROUD OF YOU AND YOUR UNIT. GOD BLESS.
AUNT GLORIA( SYRACUSE)

10:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home