Thursday, November 16, 2006

A picture with my Platoon Sergeant and Squad Leaders. The senior leadership of the Platoon. I apologize to everyone. I have no pictures of my promotion ceremony. I will describe it though. We were called up rather abruptly (myself and a fellow Platoon leader in my Company). The Battalion Commander says some words about us accomplishing what took him 25 years to accomplish, i.e. command in combat, purple hearts, etc. Then he turns to me after pinning my new rank, "1LT Smith, your up, say some words." I just smiled and said "I think since I'm still a LT that it would be better if I just didn't say anything at all." That got a great round of applause and cheering (obviously a joke). But it was a good time. On another note, just another observation that is much more dismal, yet just as important. Motivation is so difficult to maintain in this environment. When you put all your efforts into the preservation of your men's health and well being, success is inherently tied to mens' lives. Regardless of where we are, the network of friends stays close and we are able to keep up with each other, even if we are not in direct contact. The untimely death of friends is so difficult to get over, especially in this place. Something goes wrong or it just happens. Another soldier killed. It literally drains the motivation and causes you to second guess yourself. Simple actions become impossible tasks. Reactions we all have experienced. I've been through it more than once unfortunately and most others have or will go through it in some point in time. Why do I go on about this? I'm not sure. I would imagine it haunts us all. Here it is something that we just accept. It just happens. Yes, to some degree its the futility that exists, but its more the reality of war.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Steve,

You have an incredible responsibility right now. You are having experiences and feelings that most of us here can't even imagine, and you're required to keep it all to yourself. When one of us has a bad day we can call someone to ground us, but you can't talk to us about what's going on, and everybody over there is going through the same thing you are. It must be very hard to get perspective.

4:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

(premature posting) - ...no one should ever have to experience losing friends as a part of your daily life, and clearly this is very difficult - by "perspective" I mean it must be impossible to relax when everyone around you is equally or more distraught than you are, and you can't step outside of it. We all know you can't always say what's going on, but venting is *crucial* for your emotional stability, so please keep using this blog, or email, or calling - just keep talking, and we'll send you overseas virtual hugs :)
xo

4:24 AM  
Blogger GatorLT said...

I am quite allright. The experiences bond my men closer. Thank you though. This was more of a past observation

9:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Sir,
Just writing to say what is up. Looks like the guy that was a PL for two or so hours in IOBC is doing alright for himself.

2LT Cesare A. Santarosa

9:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Steve - what are these guys' names? It would be nice to put faces and names together

7:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stephen,

Thanks for sharing a small part of your promotion ceremony. You make us all proud!

Keep expressing your thoughts--it helps us to feel connected to you and to what is going on there. You have so many supporting you and your men (many are "silent readers"). Try to remember this when you are feeling low.

Sending you MANY virtual hugs,

4:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stephen:

I read your mail just about every day, this is the first time I have written to you, I have never felt as close to you as with all those who love you so much, I do pray that the Blessed Lord keep you and all those with you safe.

Uncle Johnny
Latham NY

11:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi steve...
thanks for sharing about your promotion.. congratulations....
i cannot imagine your experiences nor your feelings....
but, know that you are prayed for constantly, thought of consistantly, and loved abundantly.....
hugs to you,
k's auntie c

2:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home